[alsa-devel] HG vs GIT

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Feb 7 21:36:15 CET 2008

At Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:46:24 +0000,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:03:03PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> > > The problem with an out of tree codebase extracted from git (or Hg), is
> > > that once extracted you couldn't use ALSA's SCM on it.  E.g., generating
> > > nice patches based on current head, or pulling and merging recent patches
> > > in with your current work.
>
> > It's possible to extract and merge patches nicely with git.  I just
> > pointed the "easiest" way to get the latest code.  There must be a
> > better way.
>
> I have to confess that I've not tried this with ALSA but for osme other
> areas of the kernel I've succesfully used the out of tree build support
> in kbuild to allow me to work on drivers while running a distro kernel.
> I'd change into the directory with the module source and say something
> like:
>
> 	make M=${PWD} -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
>
> to build against the installed kernel headers and config.
>
> This does break if the current code depends on any changes under
> include/ which would be more of a problem for some bits ALSA than for
> most of the things I've tried this approach with - it's more suitable
> for individual drivers than something like ALSA core, for example.

The external build itself is relatively easy.  We have already such
stuff in alsa-driver tree.  Just needs a slight change to remap the
directories properly in linux kernel tree instead of alsa-kernel
tree.

What I mentioned is to merge changesets properly from one tree to
another old tree.  Maybe a kind of cherry picking would do that.