[alsa-devel] HG branches

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Feb 7 12:37:24 CET 2008

At Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:06:57 +0100,
Rene Herman wrote:

> On 06-02-08 15:06, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>
> > BTW: Does anyone know if it's possible to just pick a patch from a HG
> > branch to another? STG (Stacked GIT) has nice 'stg pick <branch>@<patch>'
> > command for this.
>
> Not me, but thought I'd take the opportunity to ask if switching to git is
> (still) an absolute no. As far as I can see, hg has mostly downsides, with
> needing a conduit between it and upstream for example that I saw Linus
> complain about recently.

Well, this isn't about HG but the mechanism that alsa.git tree is
generated.  The same would happen if you do automatic-commitment
between different trees.

It would be same even if you use git, as long as you have a different
tree structure like the current alsa-kernel tree vs linux kernel
tree.

> I'm used to git by now, and every time I try do something inside ALSA I just
> keep on typing the wrong commands to hg, needing the manpage, not being
> certain that I'm not fucking up my local tree...
>
> I can definitely say that hg is not being instrumental in making me more of
> a contributor. When I _do_ do something I tend to just work against the
> kernel inside git and then only in the end apply the result to the current
> hg just to see if it will.
>
> I believe the git submodule stuff would also nicely allow all of ALSA to be
> one giant repo basically, with kernel, lib, ..., as submodules.

Just out of curiosity, what could be a merit of submodules in the case
of ALSA?