[alsa-devel] HG branches

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Wed Feb 6 21:06:57 CET 2008

On 06-02-08 15:06, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> BTW: Does anyone know if it's possible to just pick a patch from a HG
> branch to another? STG (Stacked GIT) has nice 'stg pick <branch>@<patch>'
> command for this.

Not me, but thought I'd take the opportunity to ask if switching to git is
(still) an absolute no. As far as I can see, hg has mostly downsides, with
needing a conduit between it and upstream for example that I saw Linus
complain about recently.

I'm used to git by now, and every time I try do something inside ALSA I just
keep on typing the wrong commands to hg, needing the manpage, not being
certain that I'm not fucking up my local tree...

I can definitely say that hg is not being instrumental in making me more of
a contributor. When I _do_ do something I tend to just work against the
kernel inside git and then only in the end apply the result to the current
hg just to see if it will.

I believe the git submodule stuff would also nicely allow all of ALSA to be
one giant repo basically, with kernel, lib, ..., as submodules.

Rene.