[alsa-devel] ESI Maya44 initial patch

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Feb 6 17:42:16 CET 2008

At Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:53:48 +0100,
Rainer Zimmermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this is the first testing version of the driver for the ESI Maya44 card, which I
> developed on the initiative of Piotr Makowski.
>
> The driver is actually an addition to the existing ice1724 code.
>
> More information can be found in doc/README.maya44 .
>
> We would appreciate your testing and feedback.
>
> Also, since I am new to ALSA driver development, I would appreciate feedback on
> whether the way I integrated this into the ALSA tree is correct.

The place you added is fine.  Unless you want it to merge to the
upstream right now, we can keep locally in the alsa-driver tree.

The file ice1724.c should be rather "patched" instead of copying the
whole.  See other directories how to add it.  Basically, you create
*.patch and add rules for the corresponding files in Makefile.

ice1712.h is a bit nasty.  If you don't need to modify that file, you
can have a skeleton that simply includes the file in alsa-kernel
tree.  That is, one liner including the following:

	#include "../../alsa-kernel/pci/ice1712/ice1712.h"

Last but not least, try to keep your patch clean and compliant to the
kernel coding style.  You can run $LINUX_KERNEL/scripts/checkpatch.pl
to check what can be wrong as a guide line.

Please repost after these fixes so that I'll merge it to the HG tree.

Thanks,