[alsa-devel] HDA - AD1986a issues.

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 4 16:19:18 CET 2008

At Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:57:35 -0800,
Tobin Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:13 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
>     > Also, I had some very strange audio garbage with the tip on an HD Audio
>     platform
>     > that normally works ok.  I'm going to be tracking it down this morning,
>     once I
>     > get to work (1 hour).  I'm not sure if it is related to the AD1986a or the
>     SCH
>     > (gcap patch).
>
>     AD1986A has a known problem when you assign the single stream to
>     multiple DACs.  But, we should have fixed this already in 1.0.16rc2.
>
> Ok, I can confirm on my test system that the HDA-GCAP and HDA-SCH patches are
> ok.  I tested them on 1.0.15 with an AD1986a and they work fine.  Same system
> with HG20080130 is aweful.  I'm trying to revert the patch_analog patches one at
> a time to see which one is the problem.

Did you find out the problem?  I vaguely remember that EAPD may play a
bad role for headphones.  This should be disabled except for the
speaker output.

>     >  I do know that GCAP returns 2200 on this system, whereas a normal
>     > ICH returns 4401.  The last bit may be significant (64bit vs 32bit
>     stream).  I
>     > need to reverify the SCH value, but this may be causing the issue.  This
>     is
>     > critical for a launch coming up.
>
>     Hm, this bit hasn't been tested.  OK, we need a fix for that.
>
> No need to worry about this bit I guess.  It may only be relevant on a system
> that runs 64bit OSes, and I'd assume that bit doesn't exist for systems that
> can't.

The fix itself would be pretty easy.  Check this bit and reset the dma
consistent mask to 32bit if it's 32bit only.

Hm, this reminds me that we should call set_mask with 64bit as
default.  Needs more investigation...