[alsa-devel] question for the all-knowing - firewire audio hardware

S. Aguinaga sa_jr at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 23:28:43 CET 2008

Hi John,

Thank you, I went to the site and downloaded everything (including the dependencies, to be able to build ffado) but ran into one problem:
The README file says to launch the daemon, but it fails:

  jackd -v  -d firewire
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_freebob.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
jackd: unknown driver 'firewire'

I realize this is loosely related to alsa-devel, but ...
Launching the qjackctl  raises other issues ... when I start it, it's stopped immediately due to:

cannot create /dev/shm/jack-1000 directory (Permission denied)
cannot create server sockets
cannot create engine

and noticed that the only options under "Interface" setup are:
hw:0, plughw:0,  /dev/dsp ... but all these correspond to the built-in HDA card and not my firewire.

only one device is register as a card:
cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0x9b500000 irq 20

I do have a /dev/raw1394 ... but something is not configuring it as an audio device, right?

// Sal