[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 21:26:49 CEST 2008

Florian Faber wrote:
> On Saturday 12 April 2008 20:14:44 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
>> That sounds reasonable for now. Professional sound card users will
>> maybe just have to remember to mute the master control before
>> connecting their speakers.
>>

> This is very, very dangerous - not only can it harm the equipment, it
> can also harm the user. 0dBFS equals >121dB at a distance 2m away from
> my head, and I have a *small* setup.
>
> To be honest, I think I would then insert a switch in the RME driver
> that will enable the outputs only after the RME mixer application has
> been started.
>

> Flo

Thats not very helpful really.
What value should we set it to then?
Another alternative could be to leave everything at 0dB except the master.
For the master we could select say minimum dB + 12.
So, if the Master ranged from -70 to 0 dB, we would set Master to -70 +
12 = -58dB.

Would that suit everyone better.

James