[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Sat Apr 12 20:25:57 CEST 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 20:14:44 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> That sounds reasonable for now. Professional sound card users will
> maybe just have to remember to mute the master control before
> connecting their speakers.

This is very, very dangerous - not only can it harm the equipment, it
can also harm the user. 0dBFS equals >121dB at a distance 2m away from
my head, and I have a *small* setup.

To be honest, I think I would then insert a switch in the RME driver
that will enable the outputs only after the RME mixer application has
been started.

Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 6C002249          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net