[alsa-devel] What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Sat Apr 12 20:25:57 CEST 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 20:14:44 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> That sounds reasonable for now. Professional sound card users will
> maybe just have to remember to mute the master control before
> connecting their speakers.

This is very, very dangerous - not only can it harm the equipment, it
can also harm the user. 0dBFS equals >121dB at a distance 2m away from
my head, and I have a *small* setup.

To be honest, I think I would then insert a switch in the RME driver
that will enable the outputs only after the RME mixer application has
been started.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 6C002249          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net