[alsa-devel] ASoC for TI OMAP - Multiformat ASoC DAI link driver?

Jarkko Nikula jarkko.nikula at nokia.com
Wed Apr 2 12:45:38 CEST 2008

Currently in ASoC v1 we have one DAI driver per one format? E.g.
separate drivers for I2S, AC97, etc and type field in cpu_dai
structure is not a bit field or at least not used such way in
soc-core.c and DAI link drivers.

struct snd_soc_cpu_dai pxa_i2s_dai = {
	.type = SND_SOC_DAI_I2S,

I looked shortly asoc-v2-dev branch and now this type field is gone.
Does it mean that there you can have DAI link driver which supports
multiple formats in set_fmt callback?

I'm asking this since McBSP (Multichannel Buffered Serial Port) found
in OMAP processors can be configured to almost any imaginable format
and IMO it doesn't make a sense to have separate drivers for each of
them if there is a difference only in few configuration bits.

--
Jarkko