[alsa-devel] ALSA changes in 2.6.23-rc6 for Intel HDA

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:09:00 CEST 2007

On 9/13/07, Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you tell me exact version of kernel that allowed you to set higher volume,
> and can you test whenever you actually can set louder volumes on that kernel, maybe it has a bug

I was working fine  2.6.23-rc4 for sure and I also believe  2.6.23-rc5 was ok.
 2.6.23-rc6 is not ok.

But I can't rule out that this has nothing to do with the kernel and
instead it was cause by an auto update of some ubuntu package.

It is the current system that is not working ok for me.

I have my powered speakers set to full volume.
I have PCM set to full volume.
I have to set the front speakers to 36% before I can detect they are
making sound.
I still have full dynamic range if I set the front speakers to 100%.

Here's a another clue. I have alsamixer running in a window. I change
the volume control with the gnome panel applet. It is changing the
volume for the Front Speaker column. Shouldn't it be changing the PCM
column?

If I set Front back to 79 and use PCM to control the volume things
appear to be working like they used to. Did something cause the Gnome
Volume Control Applet to start controlling a different column?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com