[alsa-devel] RME HDSP driver enhancements for HDSPe cards

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Oct 18 09:56:01 CEST 2007

At Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:22:20 +0200,
Ptitjes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First, sorry for the cross-post, but as i did not know where to start, i
> wanted to ask to both lists.
>
> I bought a RME HDSPe PCI card. I should receive it in the following
> days. My plan is to:
>
> 1) Determine whether the current driver works as is with the HDSPe cards
> and make my report to both lists.
>
> 2) Enhance the current driver in order to take profit of the new feature
> (32bit float format)
>
> However, i am new to Alsa, Jack and HDSP driver internal code structure.
> So i wanted to collect informations and hints as where to start from and
> be the most efficient in starting the work as i can.
>
> Could you please give me links as to:
> - - General Alsa driver structure and data flow

See my ALSA-driver tutorial on web page.

> - - Work done by Alsa HDSP driver and work done by Jack (I ever thought
> most of the work is done by Jack as my current HDSP PCCard do not work
> with Alsa only)

See JACK web page.  There must be some good diagram there.
The ALSA corresponds to the backend of JACK, and it does the actual
I/O.

> - - Parts of the Alsa HDSP driver that would a priori need changes.

The framework for 32bit float is already in the driver core.  It's
just the card-driver implementation, i.e. pretty dependent on the
hardware stuff.

> - - Parts of Jack that would a priori need changes.

Not much I guess.