[alsa-devel] If /dev/snd/controlCx EACCES vs. ENODEV mixup

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Nov 26 07:53:48 CET 2007

At Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:53:00 +0100,
Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Sun, 25.11.07 22:42, Jaroslav Kysela (perex at perex.cz) wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, what's the status of the BTS? Takashi asked me to post all my
> > > issues on the ML instead of on the BTS. So why have the BTS at all?
> > > It's even linked on the alsa-project.org front page under "I found a
> > > bug!", which is a bit misleading. If this Mantis thing is not liked at
> > > all, would it be possible to make some replacement available? Maybe
> > > just use the kernel bugzilla on bugzilla.kernel.org? It's very fast,
> > > and certainly more fun to work with than with Mantis.
> >
> > I prefer BTS but Takashi not. It's matter of personal preference. Mantis
> > is easy maintainable and we have more projects (or packages) not only
> > drivers.
>
> The kernel bugzilla already is used for stuff like klibc and other
> userspace support code for the kernel. I am sure noone would oppose to
> move the complete bug tracking of ALSA to the kernel bz.

The problem is the total lack of man power for debugging.
You'll understand easily if you see too many open bugs.  And the bug
report quality isn't always good.  Many reports, e.g. about HD-audio
issue, are either too old, irrelevant, or simply unsupported device
(or all of them are mixed up).  Only a few of them are really
interesting.  But, even filtering them takes too much time.

So, I guess it won't matter whether it's bugzilla or not.  Unless
someone sweeps bug entries regularly, BTS can't work properly.

BTW, regarding bugzilla vs mantis.  There are a few features that are
missing in mantis.  For example, the below are what I'd love to have
vastly:

- properly create a mail per entry
  currently mantis mail notification is broken and useless

- has optional status like NEEDINFO or WAIT_FOR_TESTING
  so we cannot mark the entries whether a user-action is required or
  not, make difficult to filter