[alsa-devel] Moderated list

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Thu Nov 15 22:34:04 CET 2007

From: Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:56:38 +0100 (CET)

> David, could I send you the list of subscribers on the alsa-devel list (in
> a private e-mail) to move mailing list to vger without bothering all users
> to resubscribe again (we did it several months ago, so the subscriber list
> is quite clean)? I will redirect alsa-devel at alsa-project.org address then
> to alsa-devel at vger.kernel.org (if it does not break any vger rules or spam
> filtering on vger) to preserve alsa-devel list e-mail.

We don't do this because:

1) If the user doesn't do the subscribe, they won't know how
   to unsubscribe.

   If you think this isn't an issue, after 10 years of co-running vger
   I can tell you it's a huge issue as they just spam the list owner,
   with requests to be removed.

2) Users generally get upset when you subscribe them to a
   site they did not get asked to be subscribed to.  And yes
   this is true even if it's the same mailing list just at
   a new location.

I apply this rule unilaterally to all new mailing lists hosted
at vger, I'm not just singling out this case, believe me :-)

So please ask the folks on the existing list to subscribe to
the new one.

Thank you.