[alsa-devel] Reasonable sound hardware parameters?

Jaroslav Kysela perex at suse.cz
Tue May 29 20:17:51 CEST 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Lorenz Kolb wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2007 Jaroslav, Kysela wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 May 2007, Lorenz Kolb wrote:
> > > Or did we miss something?
> >
> > Probably not :-) I was speaking about standard PCI architecture in PC.
> > Your design is quite different. Anyway, I wonder for what purpose you
> > need such embedded platform with Linux? Perhaps, I'm too curious ;-)
>
> You know what happened to the cat because of curiosity? ;-) I know it is
> not polite to answer with a question, but why not using Linux in
> embedded platforms? Linux allows full control over the kernel (ok, as
> long as one complies to the GPL), it is widely spread and offers an
> enormous amount of client software and even more it is free (of charge,
> not of cost). And just have a look at companies like AVM. They do have
> great success using Linux in the embedded field. Unfortunately a
> multi-media-box (that's at least the goal) will not be multi without
> audio ;-)

Yes, I know about Linux flexibility, but I'm curious what's special in
your hardware platform - or what was the reason to design a new platform
(you mentioned that main CPU is not very powerful). Several PC based
platforms exist with Geode or VIA processors which has enough I/Os
integrated including AC97 sound and PCI slots for further expansion..
Maybe size of final product or a special acceleration?

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at suse.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer