[alsa-devel] Newbie questions regarding ALSA drivers

Liam Girdwood lg at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu May 17 17:07:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 19:51 +0530, Pharaoh . wrote:
> Hi,
> I am very new to ALSA and just trying to get familier with the things, I
> have
> got few questions.
>
> 1. Is it true that all the OSS drivers are included only in directory
> linux/sound/oss  and no where else?

Afaik, mostly yes. I've seen some in other places, although they were
never official.

> 2. There are arch specific folders like ARM, MIPS etc, so all the drivers in
> these folders are ALSA or OSS?

ALSA

> 3. If I write a new driver for an OMAP based board, it should go in to
> linux/sound/arm/omap/ right? Or only ALSA drivers for this board should go
> there?

It could either go in linux/sound/arm or you could write a more generic
omap driver (i.e. not tightly coupled to either your board or codec) and
place it in sound/soc/omap/, this would allow your work to be used on
other boards/platforms.

> 4. I have some old OSS drivers
> which were written for my board, do I need to make them ALSA drivers
> to be in line with the latest trend i.e. phasing out OSS drivers?

Yes, I would recommend this.

Liam