[alsa-devel] Steinberg Midex 8 driver development

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Wed May 16 09:17:24 CEST 2007

Norman Schleicher wrote:
> I am currently on development for the Steinberg Midex8 USB driver.
> At the moment I can send notes to my Midi equipment via this device.
> Receiving is currently not implemented.
> My questions are:
> 1. Are there any tools to test the Alsa-Midi compatiblity ?

You can send raw MIDI data with amidi, or play entire .mid files with

To see received data, use amidi or aseqdump.

> 2. May I release some milestone results to the Alsa project ?

Just publish them somewhere.

> 3. What are the requirements to get released in an official alsa release
> package ?

Post the patches against the latest Hg tree here.

> 4. Where can I read how the source code is organized in the repository

The alsa-kernel tree contains an almost exact copy of the sound/
directory in the Linux kernel tree.

The alsa-driver tree contains the build mechanism for the separate
alsa-driver package, patches and compatibility code to make the code
in alsa-kernel work with older kernels, and some drivers that are too
new or too horrible to allow them into the kernel.

> and how to manage tags and branches for the development ?

and see the Hg docs.