[alsa-devel] default PCM volume

Michel Benoit murpme at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:11:18 CEST 2007

Hello again,

I am running alsa on a custom AT91SAM9260 arm based SOC board together
with a a simple external PCM1725 codec.  When using alsa-lib and the
at91 soc driver (pcm+i2s) I can playback PCM samples using both aplay
and test/pcm.  Using softvol I can also reduce the volume of the
playback.

The problem I have is that the playback volume (with softvol=100%) is
not very loud.  The volume is the same even without the softvol
plugin. The PCM codec has no hw volume control.   According to our hw
team the sound level should be much higher.

Is there a default PCM attenuation (volume reduction) built into alsa
lib?  If so, how can it be adjusted?

Thanks,

Michel