[alsa-devel] Can someone verify support for "AzTech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II-3D - using AZT-2316/R Chipset - FCC-ID:I38-MMSN846" ?

Rene Herman rene.herman at gmail.com
Fri May 11 23:42:48 CEST 2007

On 05/11/2007 06:44 PM, ramkromberg at mail.com wrote:

> o, I thought the epprom settings are default until the
> driver kicks in...

Only if you set the JMPCFG jumper to EEPROM; otherwise the card's just dead
in the water until software enables it (by writing to some specific I/O
port; not sure which).

> So I set the jumpers accordingly and still no luck:
> IDESEL: 1-2 (Disabled - Its the CD IDE ON\OFF)
> JMPCFG: 1-2 (EPPROM ON)
> JMPB0: 1-2 (22XH)
> IDEIRQ: 1 (IRQ 15 - shouldn't make a different)
> JX1: 2-3 (Carbon MIC - again just letting you know though it shouldn't
> make a different)
>
> This should make sense with the picture I sent earlier...
> I also removed another card I had connected - ISA Modem, Just making
> sure their are no conflicts...
>
> Here's the grim results:
>
> sudo modprobe snd-sb8 port=0x220 irq=5 dma8=1
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_sb8
> (/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sb8.ko): No such
> device

Okay, that's unfortunate. It works fine here with my AZT2316R and AZT1605 cards.

1. Did you restore the default settings to the EEPROM with "HWSET /MR /MS"?

If an "EEPROM.SYS" is being loaded from your CONFIG.SYS in the DOS setup
also try that HWSET after rebooting with that line commented out. maybe it's
interfering (EEPROM.SYS is the "software" that takes on the role of the
physical EEPROM when you have the JMPCFG jumper set to "software").

2. What do the last few lines of "dmesg" say after the modprobe?

3. Both my AZT2316A cards actually needed the JMPCFG jumper set to the
"software" setting to even have the DSP show up at 0x220 which seems like it
just might be a strange fluke. But if it really won't work, try the HWSET
and loading of the snd-sb8 driver also with the JMPCFG jumper switched again...

Don't seem to have more bright ideas...

Rene.