[alsa-devel] Mackie XD-2 Spike USB Drivers for Linux

John L. Utz III john.utz at dmx.com
Thu May 10 19:55:18 CEST 2007

Hello Sava

On Thu, 10 May 2007 15:49:01 +0200
"Sava Tatic" <tictactatic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to get the Mackie XD-2 Spike
> (http://www.mackie.com/products/spike/) to work on my Kubuntu Feisty
> machine, and so far I have only gotten it to play out (I had to use
> plughw instead of hw). I am using the generic USB drivers that came
> with the distro. I am having trouble recording anything on the card.
> Alsamixer (or Kmix) do not see the card. When I do alsamixer -c 1 (0
> is my onboard card), it returns "no mixer elems found".
>
> I am aware that this card is not in the ALSA Matrix of supported
> cards, but I am wondering what would it take for it to become
> supported?

USB audio is a standard so it might be incredibly easy to do this
depending on what mackie did.

if the documentation indicates that it needs no drivers for OSX than
it's a class compliant device and all you should need to do is find
it's ID string using lsusp and then stick it into the appropriate array
in the driver:

[jutz at jutz-fc6 ~]$ /sbin/lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical

you should be able to find it this way.

if osx needs a driver or loads firmware for it, then it gets more
complex, but not too complex.

An example of a firmware loading device is the Emagic A26 and A26m. It
works in linux because it's class compliant after the linux driver loads
the firmware and then exits(i think it exits!).