[alsa-devel] snd-es1968 capture broken

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Mar 28 12:02:39 CEST 2007

At Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:29:57 +0200,
Rene Herman wrote:

> On 03/27/2007 04:09 PM, Rene Herman wrote:
>
> > Given a relative unfamiliarity with the "inner alsa innards", I'm not
> > too likely to find it but if it's hard for you, give me a few days and
> > I'll try. Any and all "look here and there" pointers welcome...
>
> As a first try, I tried a 2.6.10 kernel (alsa 1.0.6) coupled with 1.0.6
> lib and utils but the problem is present there as well. Which is fairly
> odd, since I have a significantly more recently captured source which is
> fine; I guess I _might_ have had a cs46xx card installed then...
>
> I described the problem as a "stutter" but maybe that's not the best
> description; it's a "ticking" sound behind/over the actual captured
> sound. It's hard to hear if the sound is correct other than that; if I
> keep the "Capture" control at 0 dB, it's very soft and when I start
> upping it, it starts distorting (which doesn't surprise me; I keep chip
> gains at max 0 dB almost religiously since they all distort).
>
> With this one the sound's so distorted at max gain it's almost turned
> into white noise though. Mmm, I'll try on windows again (where as said
> the capture's okay) if that's actually expected...

I vaguely remember that there is a problem regarding the buffer size
alignment.  One difference from OSS is that OSS accepts only
power-of-2 buffer / period sizes.  Could you check arecord with a
buffer and sizes of power-of-2 via --buffer-size and --period-size
options?

You can find a commented-out line in snd_es1968_capture_open(), BTW.
IIRC, this didn't work...