[alsa-devel] [Alsa-devel] Quality resampling code for libasound

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Mar 21 14:14:43 CET 2007

At Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:08:09 +1100,
Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> > OK, as long as it's in alsa-plugins repository, I basically don't
> > care.  But, for merging it to alsa-lib, I'd like to change the code
> > very much (including coding-style unification).
>
> Well, it's ultimately your call. For rate_speexrate.c, it really doesn't
> matter what happens because that's the only place it's used. When it
> comes to the resampler code itself, it depends on how you want to
> maintain it. I'll be maintaining it from the Speex tree, so it you want
> to change the style, you'll have to either "backport" improvements/fixes
> (e.g. optimisations) or do the style change again every time you sync.
> That is, unless you plan to do an alsa-specific fork of it. (I
> personally think the simplest way would be not modify the core resampler
> (resample.c and corresponding header files) and just sync with Speex
> once in a while.

Yeah, this is an interesting question.  We often see similar conflicts
in the maintenance of linux kernel tree, too.  The unified coding
style gives clearly better readability of the whole tree.  OTOH, if a
code chunk is derived from another tree, it requires more additional
backport effort.

In the ideal situation, we may link to speex resampler as a dynamic
library -- e.g. adding a configure option to let user choose the
built-in or system-wide library resampler code.  Does libspeex provide
this code snip as exported?