[alsa-devel] Testing/forcing XRUN

Nobin Mathew nobin.mathew at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 09:19:32 CEST 2007

This will be OK to test XRUN condition in driver.

XRUN will be reported in either of these functions

static inline int snd_pcm_update_hw_ptr_interrupt(struct
snd_pcm_substream *substream)

or
static inline int snd_pcm_update_hw_ptr_post(struct snd_pcm_substream
*substream, struct snd_pcm_runtime *runtime)

or you can put some Debug logs in
static void xrun(struct snd_pcm_substream *substream)

All these functions are in sound/core/pcm_lib.c

When we stop the application by issuing Ctrl-Z then onwards
application will not write/read data from device. So driver will go to
XRUN state, when driver detects XRUN it stops the substream by calling
snd_pcm_stop() (inside xrun()). But application cannot detect this
because he is not active. But when we activate application (fg) then
it detects -EPIPE (stopped substream), then application prepare it
snd_pcm_prepare() and starts the playback(substream) again.

Nobin