[alsa-devel] Testing/forcing XRUN

Eliot Blennerhassett linux at audioscience.com
Fri Jun 8 07:59:05 CEST 2007

Hi,

I want to test my driver behaviour when an xrun happens.

I have tried using aplay/arecord, and suspending (ctrl-Z) them while
playing/recording but this doesn't have the desired effect. (I don't see my
driver code detecting an xrun).  Instead I see a trigger-stop command to the
driver.

The apps do report an overrun when they are restarted though.

Can anyone answer these:

1) Is this a valid way to simulate an xrun due to application not keeping up?

1.1) If not, what is? Do I have to write an app that deliberately starves the
streams?

2) Where is the xrun being detected if my driver doesnt see it?  Where does
the trigger-stop command come from when I suspend the app?

thanks

Eliot Blennerhassett
AudioScience Inc.