[alsa-devel] Next steps

Chris Schumann chris at idlelion.net
Sun Jun 3 05:47:56 CEST 2007

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 29 May 2007 11:52:55 -0500 (CDT),
> chris at idlelion.net asked about alsa development
> Both alsa-driver and alsa-kernel are repos for ALSA drivers, so you
> need both.  The latter contains the source codes to be merged to linux
> kernel tree while the former contains the stuff for building the
> modules.
>
> It's not always necessary to use HG version of alsa-lib, utils and
> others.  But, at least, it's safe and recommended to use the latest
> version of alsa-lib and utils together with alsa-driver.
>

> Takashi

I'm running CentOS 5 and would like to keep the machine working for its
owner while I try to fix the sound driver.

I cloned alsa-driver and alsa-kernel from the hg repository. In
alsa-driver is a file called INSTALL.

Step 1 says I need full configured source for the kernel. "yum install
kernel-devel" seemed to do that.

Step 2 says turn on sound support. No idea what that means.

Step 3 says run ./configure. That file doesn't exist. There is a
configure.in that says it should be run through autoconf. If there's an
automated script to do that, its location isn't obvious.

There are over 4000 lines in the cs46xx module, so any tips on what's
important (other than the actual suspend and resume functions that I've
found) and where to start a search would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Chris