[alsa-devel] ASoC and a codec that can't be controlled

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Fri Jun 1 15:45:01 CEST 2007

Liam Girdwood wrote:

> Imho, there is little point in probing or allocating any more resources
> until we know the I2C codec probe succeeds. We would just have to free
> any resources allocated up to that point.

True, but if the I2C probe fails, then I would think that the whole system is shot, so this sounds like a very unlikely situation.  If you changed the code to clean up after an I2C failure, you could make the whole thing more modular, including eliminating the call to snd_soc_new() in the codec driver.

Since ASoC divides everything into four more-or-less independent drivers, it makes sense that it should be able to handle a situation where one of those drivers just fails to load.