[alsa-devel] snd-hda-intel, AD 1988b: SPDIF output not working correctly, volume low for analog output

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jul 19 15:50:19 CEST 2007

At Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:22:56 +0200,
Matthias Dahl wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 12:21:25 Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > Which applications are you using?
>
> Tested with amarok, kaffeine (and thus xine), mplayer, alsaplayer...
>
> > For further analysis, first get /proc/asound/card0/codec#* files for
> > both working and non-working states.  This includes most of codec
> > register information, so we can compare the details.  In addition, run
> > "alsactl -f somefile store" in both cases, too.  This file contains
> > the mixer status.
>
> Okay... it's hard to force it, so next time something like that happens, I
> will get the informations you asked for. (I already attached several infos to
> my last mail) Is there something else I can do or provide you with in the
> meantime...?
>
> > Also, check the kernel messages when it hangs.  If it's related to the
> > controller communication error, it must show some timeout messages.
>
> There are no kernel msgs... already checked that.
>
> > No, it's almost same (if we rely on the datasheet).
>
> Different revision maybe...?

Might be.  But I don't know of revision differences in details.

> > Did you try any model module option?  It might be a BIOS problem that
> > doesn't set up the codec informatoin correctly.  With model option, we
> > can override and use the preset configuration.
>
> Yeah... tried several things so far.
>

> 1] model option
>
> With the auto setting, I can raise the volume a lot louder. Unfortunately
> every sound I play back through spdif (non-ac3) seems overamplified even if I
> lower the iec958 volume below -45db. I cannot get that right. Also in order
> to correctly set the front volume, I have to adjust the headphone volume as
> well. If I don't, the front sounds dull somehow. Also tried other variants
> but usually one of the speakers isn't working or stuff like that.
>
> Currently I am using 6stack-dig with the problems outlined in my earlier mail.

So, the primary problem is rather the 6stack-dig preset doesn't match
with your device.  The SPDIF problem seems independent, though, but
we'd better to fix the stuff first.

With auto model, do you get louder output from the analog out?

> Unfortunately neither with the auto setting, nor with 6stack-dig, I am able to
> switch the output mode (6 channel, 2 channel, ...). It's always 6 channels
> and whatever I play back is routed to every speaker. :-(

Then the BIOS configuration is broken (or the driver implementation is
buggy).

The first thing to do is to check which pin widget corresponds to the
real I/O jacks.  It's a guess work and trial-and-error.

> 2] position_fix
>
> I don't seem to have any luck with that one. Doesn't solve any problems...
> with setting at 3, things are even worse with more distortions.

Then it's fine.  It's a good news.  Your device isn't buggy about
this, at least.