[alsa-devel] multi-channel set up on PS3

gt bradley baykelper at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 08:55:06 CEST 2007

I'm running Fedora 7 on a PS3  (2.6.22 kernel, 1.0.14rc2 alsa).

I'm trying to create a multi-channel device by following the
instructions at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php

On the section on "virtual multi channel devices"

I also tried changing the slave b hardware number to 7 to match my set-up.
( and tried putting 7 -> 0 and 1->0 to make the snd_ps3 the "second"
device w/o record).

attempting to run the test command yeilds:
[root at ps3 Surround-SDL-testfiles]# arecord -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c 4 -D
multi | aplay -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c 4 -D multi
arecord: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory
aplay: playback:2018: read error

to remove the record part of things, I've also tried :
[root at ps3 Surround-SDL-testfiles]#  aplay -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c 4 -D
multi dolby-canyon.ogg
Playing raw data 'dolby-canyon.ogg' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
44100 Hz, Channels 4
aplay: set_params:878: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available

(I also tried Big-endian).

Looking at
http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-usb-audio

the relevent part of my kernel config file is below: and the output of
lsmod.
I notice that soundcore.o is in my build tree, but I'm unable to find a
soundcore.ko file.  I'm assuming that this is being statically linked
into the kernel.  (I can find .soundcore_open in the System.map file for
my kernel).  this looks reasonable to me.

 From my various tries at this I believe I have a configuration issue,
and would appriciate some pointers in the right direction.

thanks
GT

***********Config info: ******************
I'm able to run speaker-test -c 2 and get sound out of L&R for each of
the two cards.

the output of aplay -l is
 [root at ps3 Surround-SDL-testfiles]# aplay -l
card 0: PS3 [PS3], device 0: SPDIF [SPDIF]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 7: MP3 [Sound Blaster MP3+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The out-put of aplay -l is as follows:
[root at ps3 Surround-SDL-testfiles]# aplay -L
null
default:CARD=MP3
    Sound Blaster MP3+, USB Audio
    Default Audio Device