[alsa-devel] PS3 - Surround sound on SPDIF set-up

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jul 5 12:56:55 CEST 2007

At Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:23:09 -0700,
GT Bradley wrote:

> right,
>   For my Fedora install, these files are at /etc/alsa/cards,   (although
> the iec958.conf) is in /etc/alsa/pcm).
>
> The iec958.conf seems resonable, although I don't fully understand the
> syntax of the file, nor understand how the asoundrc file wires to
> /etc/alsa/...  to the actual linux driver.   It seems to pass through to
> the default device (which is what I want)
>
> using the system-config-soundcard utility, I do get surround sound, and
> is displays the card as PS3 whcih matches the output of aplay -l    I've
> tryed createing a /etc/alsa/cards/PS3.conf file as follows:

It seems that the current PS3 driver doesn't support the passthru
properly yet.  For AC3, you'd have to set up the IEC958 status bits,
but the driver doesn't support it.  Some receivers are robust that
work even without non-audio bit, but many receivers require the proper
status bits.  I'll contact with SCE guys for fixing this issue.