[alsa-devel] SALSA and aplay

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 13:33:36 CEST 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 13:30, you wrote:
> At Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:40:23 +0100,
>
> Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > Quick questions:
> >
> > 1. Does SALSA provide everything needed by aplay?
>
> Most but not everything.  The missing features are:
> - snd_pcm_mmap_read*/write*() (corresponding to -M option)
> - device listing (namehint)

Thanks.  Presumably that explains 'undeclared' error for 'snd_devname_t' and
'snd_config' when linking aplay code to salsa.  I commented out all
applicable bits and it is OK.

Can salsa-lib be installed at the same time as alsa-lib?  There seems to be
conflicts.  For now I have uninstalled and installed alternately.

I have very crudely hacked the aplay code and included it as a function in
code to make a simple key-press play a set file.  Linking -lasound this seems
to work fine.  However, linking -lsalsa results in the file playing too fast,
but not as much as double.

As my experimental system has ice1712 card, I am having to use a 10 track WAV
file S32_LE as I think that is the only format supported, the card working
with 24-bits loose fitted in 32-bits.  Is that right?  Is there still
something that alsa-lib is doing to the data that salsa doesn't?  My example
wav file was recorded using standard  aplay, and has meaningful sound just on
the first 4 tracks, which appear correctly in pcm out 1-4 (visible in
envy24control), at the correct level, just too fast.  The included aplay
correctly reports

	try3.wav' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Channels 10

when begining to play.

Can you give any pointers to issues to investigate etc or things to consider?

Alan