[alsa-devel] SALSA and aplay

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jul 16 14:30:19 CEST 2007

At Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:40:23 +0100,
Alan Horstmann wrote:

> Quick questions:
>
> 1. Does SALSA provide everything needed by aplay?

Most but not everything.  The missing features are:
- snd_pcm_mmap_read*/write*() (corresponding to -M option)
- device listing (namehint)

> 2. Is there a version or equivalent of aplay that is a function that can be
> called from other code rather than the command line?  Otherwise I shall hack
> it so for the purpose of some testing only, but ask to avoid re-inventing (no
> doubt poorly) something that exists.

How about portable libraries like portaudio or SDL?
It's not equivalent with aplay, though.

> BTW SALSA compiled great (thanks Takashi), but with the following warning
> (which I ignore apart from mentioning here):-
>
> In file included from hcontrol.h:36,
>                  from mixer.h:25,
>                  from mixer.c:30:
> hctl_macros.h: In function `snd_hctl_elem_tlv_read':
> hctl_macros.h:136: warning: `snd_ctl_elem_tlv_read' is deprecated (declared at
> ctl_macros.h:1134)
> hctl_macros.h: In function `snd_hctl_elem_tlv_write':
> hctl_macros.h:142: warning: `snd_ctl_elem_tlv_write' is deprecated (declared
> at ctl_macros.h:1141)
> hctl_macros.h: In function `snd_hctl_elem_tlv_command':
> hctl_macros.h:148: warning: `snd_ctl_elem_tlv_command' is deprecated (declared
> at ctl_macros.h:1148)

You can just ignore them.  The unimplemented features are marked as
deprecated in the header files.  This is intended behavior for making
easier to debug unexpected errors.  Or, enable TLV support via
--enable-tlv configure option.

(Well, I can add another configure option to enable/disable this
 deprecated flags if it really matters).