[alsa-devel] Alsa lib configure asoundlib.h

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jul 11 10:51:57 CEST 2007

At Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:11:33 -0500,
Paul Kavan wrote:

> On 7/10/07, J. Scott Merritt <AlsaUser at pragmasoft.com> wrote:

> > the
> > > >

> > > I am really new to this. Could you tell me how to do that?
> >
> > I haven't followed closely, but I believe that you are cross compiling.
> > In other words, somewhere you found/built a copy of "gcc" that runs
> > on your host and builds executables for your target.
> >
> > In the same "place" that you found/built that copy of gcc, there should
> > be some other tools, including "strip".  Simply run:
> > "strip libasound.so" or perhaps "strip libsalsa.so".
> >

> Thanks Scott:
>
> That is exactly the case. I am developing an embedded system for an ARM
> platform. My host machine is a i686 type. I do in fact have a cross-tool
> called arm-linux-strip. I will work on that first with alsa then look at
> salsa. My problem with salsa is that for testing, I want to make sure I can
> use aplay and am having a hard time cross-compiling aplay with salsa.

You may better to build SALSA with --enable-libasound configure
option.  This will create a symlink to libasound.so, which makes
easier for apps to detect the library.

Then, for alsa-utils, use --with-alsa-inc-prefix=$ROOT/usr/include
and --with-alsa-prefix=$ROOT/usr/lib configure options.

Also, don't install both alsa-lib and salsa-lib on the same system.
Especially the confliction of development files should be avoided.