[alsa-devel] Alsa lib configure asoundlib.h

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jul 11 10:38:21 CEST 2007

At Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:05:12 -0500,
Paul Kavan wrote:

> On 7/10/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>
>     At Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:46:59 +0200,
>     I wrote:
>     >
>     > At Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:15:06 -0300,
>     > Fausto Carvalho Marques SIlva wrote:
>     > >
>     > > In salsa library(this library really saved my life, from am alsa-lib of
>     > > 600K to 45K!!!), developed by Takashi Iwai, the creation of  asoundlib.h
>     > > is dynamic and based on the configure options ( --disable-mixer will
>     > > remove mixer.h from asoundlib.h).
>     > > Can alsa-lib do the same??I think it is a good "cleanup" way of doing
>     > > client header files.
>
> I really like the idea of Salsa as well. I have built both ALSA-libs and SALSA-libs
> for my ARM SoC system. However, there are a lot of features I am sure I do not need,
> e.g. mixer. I would like to build the minimal SALSA system for playing and capturing
> audio through a PCM interface. The audio is mono, 8k sample rate with no sw audio
> control, etc. What tags can I add to get the smallest possible SALSA build. Currently
> I am doing this:
>
> CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --target=arm-linux --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> --with-versioned=no --disable-mixer
>
> then
>
> make install DESTDIR=$HOME/Linux_Builds/buildroot/build_arm/root/
>
> But am still getting about a 400k addition to my rootfs. Anyway to make that smaller?

400k?  It's definitely too much.

First, disable static library via --disable-static configure option.
You need only libsalsa.so.* for running system.  The rest, pkgconfig
and include files, are needed only for development.
Also, install stripped binaries via 'make install-strip'.

On my system, the above will result in 36kB binary.

(BTW, salsa-lib has no versioned symbols, so --with-versioned=no is
useless.)