[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] ALSA Newbie - Getting Ensoniq SoundscapeVivo to work?

Rene Herman rene.herman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 11:54:18 CEST 2007

On 04/28/2007 07:06 AM, Cody Jung wrote:

> As it suggests in the subject, I'm both a Linux-newbie and an
> ALSA-newbie. I have an old clunker of a machine running Ubuntu Feisty
> that I built out of parts left on curbs during spring cleanup, and that's
> how I came across my sound card. It's an Ensoniq SoundscapeVivo (Not a
> Vivo90, AFAIK).

As far as I'm aware, there are no other VIVO's than the VIVO90.

> I've gone through install and troubleshooting guides galore, but I can't
> seem to get ALSA to recognize my card, and I'm confused and rather tired
> of it all.
>
> Do you think you can help, and if so, what information do you need from
> me?

I probably can; I have both a Soundscape VIVO90 and a much older Soundscape
S-2000. My VIVO90 is an ISA-PnP card and has a Ensoniq MARK5-RO, an OTTOR2C
and a Analog Devices AD1845 codec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensoniq_Soundscape_VIVO90

I tested that when I acquired it a while ago and if I remember correctly, it
just worked... mmm. come to think of it, it might be the case that I needed
to add its PnP ID to the driver. Not sure anymore. Could you confirm whether
or not your Soundscape is an ISA-PnP card and if so (that's also a way to
find out if you don't know if it is) run "pnpdump" with it installed and
look for a PnP-ID for the card in it? Something of the form "ENSxxxx".

If your card is one of the older non-PnP soundscapes it's going to be a bit
harder; they also need firmware and all that and I haven't tested that card
myself yet.

(please use the @alsa-project.org list addresses by the way; in the case of
alsa-devel, the sourceforge one is gone even).

Rene.