[alsa-devel] CS4270 supported?

Liam Girdwood liam.girdwood at wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Apr 19 13:02:31 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 11:54 +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:56 -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> > Liam Girdwood wrote:
>

> > Now I have a stupid question.  I may need to write an ALSA driver for the 2.6.20 kernel,
> > which doesn't have ASoC.  Can you (or someone) give me a summary of much more work that
> > would be for me, vs. an ASoC driver?
> >

> This really depends on your platform atm. It's pretty much the same work
> if your platform and codec is not currently supported.

Just to clarify, a non ASoC ALSA driver would consist of roughly the
same code, but more tightly coupled to your platform and machine
(probably consisting a single source file). ASoC basically separates out
your ALSA driver code into codec, platform and machine drivers. This
allows others to reuse your platform code with other codecs or reuse
your codec code with other platforms.

ASoC does a few other things as well (e.g. DAPM) but this is optional.

Liam

Privacy & Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments contain privileged and confidential information that is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient you must not: read; copy; distribute; discuss; take any action in or make any reliance upon the contents of this message; nor open or read any attachment. If you have received this message in error, please notify us as soon as possible on the following telephone number and destroy this message including any attachments. Thank you.
Wolfson Microelectronics plc
Tel: +44 (0)131 272 7000
Fax: +44 (0)131 272 7001
Web: www.wolfsonmicro.com

Registered in Scotland

Company number SC089839

Registered office:

Westfield House, 26 Westfield Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2QB, UK