[Sound-open-firmware] SOF audio processing components - status of AEC

Seppo Ingalsuo seppo.ingalsuo at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 17 09:52:46 CET 2020

Hi Daniel,

On 15.1.2020 22.15, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi Seppo,
>
> Any idea what is the status of AEC component from SOF audio processing
> components development list?
>
> More than that, I don't expect Intel to release a binary for such an
> algorithm but
> I would like to understand how this fits inside SOF?

I have as work-in-progress a binary AEC to test the topology and
scheduler for such a more complex pipeline.  The pipeline instantiates
OK but it can't be used yet. The problem is that AEC reference path
pipeline scheduling didn't work and I got xruns. The scheduler has been
updated since and it could be now better. I should re-check.

> Do you use special component?

At the moment yes, but at topology level it is a very generic AEC.
There's input for microphones, input for speaker reference channels and
single output. The control parameters (for tuning) are embedded into
topology similarly as for EQs and can be controlled with sof-ctl.

Developing an open-source AEC from scratch or porting an existing
open-source AEC to SOF would be an interesting option.

The wrapper that I have for AEC binary could be with small work
converted into a SOF component and upstreamed (mock-up -> AEC with just
NLMS filter -> later a real usable AEC) to enable work to fix remaining
issues in scheduler for the topology that's needed for AEC.

Cheers,
Seppo