[Sound-open-firmware] Distribution of sof firmware and tplg files

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 13 16:47:20 CET 2020

> The all-in-one package is useful for:
>
> 1) debugging .ldc files - they don't belong to any of the upstream repos

I just want to clarify something on those files: Rather than adding
strings to all our traces, when generating the firmware we strip them
out to reduce the firmware footprint, and the actual strings are stored
in the ldc. When you want to extract traces, the sof-logger tool
substitutes the codes for human-readable strings. The ldc files only
existing in relation with the initial firmware they were extracted from.

I don't see at all why these ldc files can't be distributed along with
the firmware. In fact, we could change the firmware format and add them
in a single file, which would be stripped during firmware download and
you'd not even know about it...

> 2) SOF release - you have full control to put all things together and
>     we can use this as a reference; eventually, we can update the community
>     integration repos from this

So we are talking about multiple integration channels, that's not so
good for us

> 3) extra firmware files (not used by default kernel configuration / code)

We don't have such cases at the moment.

> It does not mean that the stable code should not be pushed to the
> "integration" repositories (where the code is merged from the multiple
> sources). But in case of issues (debugging) or if you have special users
> (firmware for special hardware variants requiring the extra kernel
> parameters / setup), the users might look back to the all-in-one repo
> (SOF project release).

I would really like to have all .ldc distributed by default so that we
can ask for traces without requiring any install shenanigans. People are
able to use alsa-info.sh, and I consider the .ldc files as a extension
helping provide DSP traces.