[Sound-open-firmware] Distribution of sof firmware and tplg files

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at intel.com
Tue Jan 7 11:46:35 CET 2020

On Tue, 2020-01-07 at 09:14 +0000, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi Liam, Pierre, Jaroslav,
>
> I know there were a lot of discussions about distribution of SOF
> firmware and tplg files
> and I would like to have a conclusion here and also validate that I
> understood it correctly.
>
> Simplified view:
>
>     * sof firmware will go to

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Yes, but I will remove the ldc files from FW and move to topology repo.
Jaroslav, is I'm assuming it's OK to move the ldc files into the same
repos as topology ?

>     * tplg files will go to
> https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-topology-conf/pull/1
>
> Is that correct, right?

Yes, being tracked here

https://github.com/thesofproject/sof/issues/2200

> I'm asking this in the context of integrating the binaries with Yocto
> where we have two options:
>
>     * build everything from sources (1)
>     * pull the binaries from repos mentioned above (2)
>
> Option (1) is a little bit trickier because of Xtensa toolchain
> license.

Yep, lets discuss this at next monthly call, Cadence may provide free
versions of the tooling for certain ISA configs (they did this in the
past for BYT)

> So, the easiest option for us wuold be (2).

3) Default to option 2, but have setting to enable 1 for users with
XCC.

> Is there a versioning scheme for linux-firmware and alsa-topology?

I'm assuming alsa-topology may follow alsa versioning ? But maybe best
for Jaroslav to answer here.

Linux FW repo just has some tags for dates, but seems to be a monthly
tag.

Liam