[Sound-open-firmware] Using the Qemu DSP emulator

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 26 15:07:50 CET 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-26 at 15:42 +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm following the instruction on SOF wiki page on how to use the
> emulator [1]
> and both VM0 and VM1 are up, anyhow SOF DSP device isn't probed.
>
> How do you do it in your qemu setup?

So for host VM I usually install my favourite distro on a disk image
and boot this image (including kernel) directly using the x86-host.sh
scripts. There are quite a lot of tools that can help create this
image, but it's bog standard Linux VM image with your custom kernel.

Btw, the kernel can be updated on this image using the normal methods
within the VM.

> Are you using an ACPI file? (or DT?).

The old Qemu release 2.7 and below used some imported ACPI files, but
newer releases have the ACPI data coded in C and built into the qemu
binary. I've recently updated qemu on the git repo to 2.9 so this will
be using C based ACPI (you should be able to find these changes in git
log for audio DSP ACPI device).

> I'm running the following commands:
>
> # ./xtensa-host.sh bxt

ok, you should see some output here.

> # ./x86-host.sh bxt

and here too.

> and pointing qemu to load my bzimage.

No need to point to a bzImage, just point it to your OS File system
image (which will contain the kernel).

Liam