No sound on HDMI by default on Lenovo T14s using Fedora 37

Mike FABIAN mfabian at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 12:39:01 CET 2023

Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> さんはかきました:

>> And, with this state, can you use the built-in mic?  Also, how after
>> restoring the module option?

Yes, I can use the microphone built into the laptop. I think I can use
that always, independent on whether I use the module option or not.

> Also, maybe more fundamental question: how exactly "it didn't work"?
> Does the HDMI device appear on pipewire / PulseAudio, but the output
> results in silence?  Or Is no HDMI listed there?

HDMI is listed in pavucontrol.

Actually it is listed there 3 times:

    HDMI/Displayport 3 Output (unplugged)
    HDMI/Displayport 2 Output (unplugged)
    HDMI/Displayport 1 Output (plugged in)

But when I select it, I heards nothing from the monitor speakers.
I tried all 3 HDMI/Displayport in pavucontrol because I was not sure
which one was the right one, but I didn’t hear anything when trying to
use any of them.

xrandr showed me the following outputs:

    $ xrandr | grep connected
    eDP-1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 309mm x 174mm
    HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-3-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-3-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-3-3 connected 3840x2160+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 600mm x 340mm

DP-3-3 is my external monitor which has speakers.

After I did set that module option with modprobe and rebooted, I could
select

    HDMI/Displayport 1 Output (plugged in)

in pavucontrol and hear sound from the monitor speakers. So what xrandr
calls DP-3-3 seems to be HDMI/Displayport 1 (plugged in) in pavucontrol.

> BTW, the lack of AMD SoC stuff might be related with the device power
> state.  A cold boot might change the situation (or trying back to an
> older known kernel).

I’ll try to boot again and see whether it breaks again.
Currently I booted without the module option and it still works, but
there was a kernel update.

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian at redhat.com>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。