"no soundcard" for GeminiLake High Definition Audio (rev 06)

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:02:55 CEST 2022

So ... good news and bad news.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 3:50 AM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 9/17/22 20:53, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > Kernel reports "no soundcard". Presumably, this is why I don't have
> > sound. Let me dive right in with details:
>
> > FWIW, more about this hardware:
> > -- It's a cheap laptop, from newegg, Ipason MaxBook P1X, 4-core Intel
> > Celeron, 12GB RAM, great price.
>
> and no linux support. Yay.
>
> see https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/wiki/ES8336-support

Good news: The driver seems to be talking to the sound card.
Bad news: No sound, except for a faint pop when muting, and when the
driver closes the card. No error messages in dmesg.

So:
-- I git cloned https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/ and git
checkout es8336-v5.19
-- make menuconfig to enable the es8336 modules, then make; make
modules_install etc.
-- copy the firmware into place as suggested by the wiki page
-- enable dynamic debug as suggested by wiki pages
-- reboot.

I see lots of debug messages in dmesg. None of them appear to be
warnings or errors.
But /usr/bin/speaker-test does not result in any sound. It does cause
some dmesg messages
to print when started, but none appear to be errors. Some more
messages print when its stopped.
/usr/bin/alsabat seems to think everything is OK.

The driver seems to be responsive, in that mixers and volume controls
seem to actually talk
to the driver, and "do things".

I'm stumped as to what to try next. Recommendations?

Should I be using github issues for this, instead of email? I'm
thinking the answer is yes, I should.
It's somehow easier to track issues via github.

alsoinfo at
 http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=6f84cae386786c6ac8314c78cbaabde0abe33f3c

--linas