ALSA Compress API - system suspend/resume

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 4 11:44:33 CEST 2022

On 10/4/22 11:07 AM, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It looks like system suspend is not implemented for Compress streams.
>
> Any story behind this? Were there any attempts on implementing this?

It depends on the definition of 'system suspend'.

What we had in mind back in the early 2010s was to allow for 'active
suspend' aka S0ix or low-power playback. That was the main reason for
introducing the API.

For suspend to S3/D3, the plan was to just completely stop any
playback/capture and restart on resume. I am not sure if this was ever
implemented, that may be a miss.

There is a corner case we may have overlooked. I am not sure what
happens if the S3/D3 suspend while playing. This is supported with e.g.
aplay but for the compressed case it's a bit more complicated. Not all
formats support rendering for a random position.