About Cleanup ASoC

Cezary Rojewski cezary.rojewski at intel.com
Tue May 24 17:06:49 CEST 2022

On 2022-05-24 3:24 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 04:40:24AM +0000, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:
>
>> I have very interesting to clean up ASoC.
>> I think it is still very complex, thus, non flexible.
>> I'm thinking that we want to cleanup...
>>
>> 	- Component with multi Card connection
>
> I'm really not certain that we want components in multiple cards at all,
> I know the Intel AVS people wanted this but I'm concerned that if a
> single component is in multiple cards we'll inevitably have connections
> between the cards which each needs to take into consideration, that
> could be routing or something else like clock configuration.

Hello,

It seems explanation of design of the avs-driver had some shortcomings.
The AVS people (like me) are to blame for this :S

The exact opposite is true - we do not want 1:N component:card relation.
Separate set of components and a separate card (machine board) per
logically separate audio device is the approach of choice here. It has
its benefits of simplifying PM and allowing for better user experience -
probe() failure of one device does not prevent other devices from
enumerating.

Regards,
Czarek