About Cleanup ASoC

Amadeusz Sławiński amadeuszx.slawinski at linux.intel.com
Tue May 24 13:17:02 CEST 2022

On 5/24/2022 6:40 AM, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> Hi ASoC
> Cc Mark, Pierre-Louis, Cezary
>
> I have very interesting to clean up ASoC.
> I think it is still very complex, thus, non flexible.
> I'm thinking that we want to cleanup...
>
> 	- Component with multi Card connection
> 	- fixed playback vs capture
> 	- fixed CPU vs Codec
> 	- DPCM connection vs normal connection
>
> About first topic,
> I guess the biggest reason why we have limitation is
> its connections.

(...)

> This makes the limitation which blocking multiple Card connections, I think.

Hi,

I would like to understand the problem here, before I start to discuss
potential solutions. You seem to be saying that there is some kind of
card<->component connection limitation? Is there specific use case you
have in mind?

Personally I don't see a reason for connecting component to multiple
cards. Even if it would be possible it soon becomes problematic when you
for example try to decide which card controls clock on component. As
I've wrote I would like to first see some use case definition, before
jumping into a rewrite.

Best regards,
Amadeusz