UCM2 configuration guide

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue May 17 09:41:24 CEST 2022

On 17. 05. 22 5:07, Peter Wedder wrote:
> Sounds good!
>
> I am also open to reworking the guide into a part of ALSA documentation, if that suits you better.

It sounds good. I started to document UCM here:

https://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group__ucm__conf.html

But it may be good to add another pages as examples. The doxygen accepts
markup texts, so a markup document will be fine. Or it may be better to add
examples to the alsa-ucm-conf package.

> I must confess I don't exactly understand what you mean by splitting channels "inside app" (what app?), though. Do you mean some kind of tool to avoid having to write configuration by hand? In any case, I will update the guide accordingly if changes are made to the process.

I meant an app which is using UCM configuration. There are two ways to
describe the channel split:

First - hidden - alsa-lib configuration - application sees stereo/mono PCM
devices.

Second - UCM values - application will get the shared (one) PCM device and
information which channels will be used per UCM devices. The channel splitting
will be handled inside application (pulseaudio / pipewire etc.).

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>