ACPI REV override for Dell XPS 13 9343

Cezary Rojewski cezary.rojewski at intel.com
Mon Jun 13 12:53:06 CEST 2022

Hello,

It's been a while since catpt-driver [1] has been introduced to provide
full support for Broadwell (BDW) machines with Intel DSP. For BDW, audio
devices can make use of DSP only in I2S mode. In 2015 Rafael and Dominik
provided quirk [2] for Dell XPS 13 9343. Given the description:

_For example, based on what ACPI exports as the supported revision, Dell
XPS 13 (2015) configures its audio device to either work in HDA mode or
in I2S mode, where the former is supposed to be used on Linux until the
latter is fully supported (in the kernel as well as in user space)._

It's clear that such configuration was not fully supported back then. I
believe now it is. Perhaps it is time to let the quirk in mention go? By
that I mean just the relevant entry, not the ACPI_REV_OVERRIDE_POSSIBLE
functionality as a whole.

[1]:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20200929141247.8058-1-cezary.rojewski@intel.com/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/alsa-devel/5115175.tbCl1JQVaV@vostro.rjw.lan/