Issues with ALSA after update to Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS Jaunty Pipewire

Mikhail Kravchenko mkravche at vt.edu
Fri Jun 3 01:28:39 CEST 2022

I updated the operating system running on my machine to 22.04 Jaunty.
This update brings the system over to pipe-wire. After running certain
programs that utilize alsa, the audio on my system becomes
intermittent and runs only one application's audio at a time.
Resetting the pipe-wire services and forcing alsa to reload its
modules does not reliably mitigate the issue.

This is the url generated by alsa-info.
http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=4d643a3153ffabd5c72313e8ffa3c9f393e676ef

On a power cycle, the audio seems to work fine, but as soon as I run
the problematic program I get the output:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1032:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

If the program's audio is successful, and it opens the slave. Audio to
other applications is upset.

sudo alsa force-reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-midi-event snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-codec-generic
snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi
snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hrtimer snd-usb-audio snd-usbmidi-lib
snd-hwdep snd-rawmidi snd-seq snd-pcm snd-seq-device snd-timer
(failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-realtek
snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel
snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core
snd-hrtimer snd-usb-audio snd-usbmidi-lib snd-hwdep snd-rawmidi
snd-seq snd-pcm snd-seq-device snd-timer).
snd-seq-midi-event snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-codec-generic
snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-intel-dspcfg snd-intel-sdw-acpi
snd-hda-codec snd-hda-core snd-hrtimer snd-usb-audio snd-usbmidi-lib
snd-hwdep snd-rawmidi snd-seq snd-pcm snd-seq-device snd-timer.

MK