FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check

li_jessen2016@gmail.com li lijessen2016 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 16:47:16 CEST 2022

Dear Mark Brown,

Sorry to bother you. I posted this issue on stackoverflow but didn't get
any correct answer yet. So I try to reach you.

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 and the kernel is *5.19.0-rc3+*.  When I run
*./kselftest_deps.sh
gcc* in .*/tools/testing/selftests*, it shows the following:

FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: $(shell
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: pkg-config
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: --libs
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: alsa)
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: $(shell
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: pkg-config
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: --libs
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: alsa)

In alsa/Makefile, it is:

LDLIBS += $(shell pkg-config --libs alsa)

ifeq ($(LDLIBS),)
LDLIBS += -lasound
endif

But in ./alsa directory, when I run *$pkg-config --libs alsa, *it
returns *-lasound**.*

And when I change  *$(shell pkg-config --libs alsa)* to *-lasound* in
alsa/Makefile, there is no FAIL info for it.

So I wonder why the FAIL info appears in the presence of *$(shell
pkg-config --libs alsa) *in alsa/Makefile. Is it some sort of bug or
did I miss something?

Looking forward to your answer.

Best Regards.

Jessen