Simple card and PLL/FLL

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Dec 7 18:37:50 CET 2022

On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 01:41:24PM +0100, Emanuele Ghidoli wrote:

> I guess what is the "right/better" implementation? Have we to add the
> set_pll call in simple-card? Or have we to add it to e.g. fsl_sai driver?
> Or, in some way, the wm8904 codec driver is approaching in the right way?
>
> Is there any documentation that explain all of that (I have already looked
> at Documentation/sound)? Any driver that is considered well written and
> complete I should use as a reference?

It's kind of a taste thing.  There's some devices where the clocking is
sufficently complicated and flexible that definitely needs a set_pll()
operation and specific machine driver support, but for simpler devices
like the WM8904 where there's an obvious thing to do it's much easier to
just hide that from everything outside the driver and only deal with the
input clock.  I don't know what the clocking for the SAI looks like so
it's hard to comment specifically on what makes sense there.