hda: how to implement component master_unbind?

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at linux.intel.com
Wed Sep 22 14:40:19 CEST 2021

Hi Takashi et al,

I've been having multiple discussions with our i915 team w.r.t. audio
driver behaviour when the aggregate component is unbound, triggered by
i915 unbind. This came up again in the recent regression with devres
allocations and I now dug into the topic again.

In short, I'm puzzled how to really implement this. ALSA (or ASoC) don't
really have support for individual components of a card disappearing in a
hotplug fashion. At card level, we do have such support (USB, firewire and
recent work for PCI hotplug). But not individual components of a card
getting unplugged.

In current code we have this:
static void hdac_component_master_unbind(struct device *dev)
{
»       struct drm_audio_component *acomp = hdac_get_acomp(dev);

»       if (acomp->audio_ops && acomp->audio_ops->master_unbind)
»       module_put(acomp->ops->owner);
»       component_unbind_all(dev, acomp);
»       WARN_ON(acomp->ops || acomp->dev);
}

... when e.g. i915 driver is unbound (but could be any driver using the
component framework, not jus Intel hw), i915 calls component_del() and HDA
gets call to the above. After this, acomp ops are null are audio no longer
has ability to talk to i915 driver (which makes sense given it's unbound).

If audio was runtime suspended, this kind of works (but relies on some
good luck). Upon HDA controller resume, we note acomp ops are NULL and
HDMI/DP operations (like snd_hdac_display_power()) silently become no-ops.
PCM streaming will go to /dev/null, but this is ok'ish since no monitor
can be connected anyways.

If audio was active, we start to get warnings or worse. Audio expects hw
display codec to be powered and programmed, but suddenly it mey lose
state. If the audio controller is actually part of the display hardware
(e.g. discrete GPUs), then controller registers can stop functioning (they
should be still available, but given the main diplay driver is unbound,
odds of suprising behaviour are high).

So this is less than ideal. I've been looking at options:

1) prevent/block the unbind if audio device is busy

The component framework does not allow individual components to return
-EBUSY, so there's no way to let others know that unbind is not possible
now.

This would force anyone testing DRM driver unbind to first unbind
the audio driver and stop any active audio use-cases if needed.

2) unbind the ALSA card

I've experimented doing a device_unregister() from the above callback, but
this has not really worked (onion peeling exercise of new probelms). The
code is shared by multiple controllers, so getting a handle to an snd_card
object is not straighforward (drvdata is differnet for SOF and
snd-hda-intel for instance). But with some new work, maybe we could call
snd_card_disconnect() to detach the card and inform user-space.

3) continue as-is and try to fix bugs

If audio is active, maybe we could force a acomp->put_power() to ensure
a clean unregister of the display part. But this leaves a big chunk of
issues especially with HDA controllers that require the display to
be powered on, to function.

..

Any ideas, and/or has there been prior work? It seems Takashi it's been
mostly you who has been active working on the acomp integration recently.
I also included Chris, Daniel and Jani who've had patches to
hdac_component.c.

Br, Kai