No output for AC3

GitHub issues - opened github at alsa-project.org
Wed Oct 20 13:28:40 CEST 2021

alsa-project/alsa-plugins issue #36 was opened from mizapf:

Sorry if this is not the proper place to ask, I'm gratefully taking any other suggestions.

I use a toslink table from my computer to a Logitech z906 system, which can decode AC3 (as proven in Windows which is installed in parallel). If I select "Digital Stereo (IEC958)", I'm getting stereo output. Also, I can play a special AC3 test file (avi) via VLC and get a proper decoding of 5.1 (obviously passed thru).

I assume that if I select "Digital Surround 5.1 (IEC958/AC3)", the A52 plugin is used. However, I get nothing but silence from the 6 speakers when I do the test, and when I try any other application. I am using pulseaudio (probably as in most installations today); I don't know whether this is important.

I thought that the A52 plugin must be configured in .asoundrc before I learned that this is already done in /etc/alsa/conf.d/60-a52-encoder.conf. Moreover, the manuals for A52 and configuration do not reveal a lot, in particular for troubleshooting.

Issue URL     : https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-plugins/issues/36
Repository URL: https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-plugins